Pages

Monday, September 05, 2016

Book List Update and Newly Found Loophole

Since childhood, summer has always been synonymous with reading.  We would always sign up for the Summer Reading Program at the local library and dutifully list every book read.  The reward at the end would be a certificate with our name scrawled in pen and maybe an ice cream cone from Dairy Queen.


Reading has continued to be a great pursuit of mine, and when we discovered we were pregnant, we promptly began to fill shelves with favorite books from our childhood.  This summer, I took our two kiddos up to the local library to see if the Summer Reading Program was still a thing.  It totally is, but instead of a free ice cream upon completion of the list, the ante has been raised to an entry to win a free tablet!


The Library is where I discovered a loophole to my Completion Project... I don't know why I hadn't thought about it before!  I could borrow books and not technically be breaking my vow to finish my stack of half-read books before purchasing a single one more.  My project has taken a bit of a left turn as I've enjoyed some good ol' summer reading:

"For fans of The Paris Wife, a sparkling glimpse into the life of Edith Wharton and the scandalous love affair that threatened her closest friendship," (description from Amazon).

One of the few books I've read before it was made into a movie.  Quite the psychological thriller, but honestly felt the ending could have been more convincing. 

I can't get enough of Gretchen Rubin these days and enjoyed this second book of hers, a new project to make home a happier place.  

I'm not the book-jacket-reader-type, and once again it bit me in the pants.  A great read, but definitely not one I wold have chosen had I known what it was about.

I still hope to complete my Completion Project by the end of the year, I was just really needing some new material and decided the summer was the perfect time to take a quick detour.  Isn't that what summer is for, though?  Following whims and getting lost in a good book?  I don't feel a bit guilty about my newfound loophole. :)

0 comments

Post a Comment