Pages

Saturday, October 03, 2015

Lessons from Madame Chic, Part 2

I want to start this post by thanking all of my readers for reading and sharing this blog!  I've had so much traffic since the last post and am truly amazed at how many people my humble little blog is reaching.  It's been my heart for several years now for my blog to inspire people to find pleasure in everyday living.  I'm excited to continue the three-part review of Lessons from Madame Chic as part of a countdown to Jennifer L. Scott's new book, Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic: Lessons in Everyday Elegance, which comes out October 27, 2015.  You can check out Part 1: Diet and Exercise here.



Part 2: Style and Beauty


Chapter 4 "Liberate Yourself with the Ten-Item Wardrobe"
In this chapter, Jennifer describes her discovery of Famille Chic's approach to clothing- they each had about ten items of really nice clothing that they would wear in rotation, again and again.  If you've read many other French style books, you know that this is not a new or even unique concept for Famille Chic.  I had read about the concept of a "Capsule Wardrobe" many times before, but it really hit home the first time I read Jennifer's take on it.  She talks about really loving each of the core items in your closet and it made me realize that while I may have had a lot of clothes, I really only ever wore the same things over and over.  Why was I holding on to a closet full of clothes that I never wore?  While I didn't immediately get rid of every item I didn't wear, I did begin a several year process of only keeping articles I loved and last winter had my very first authentic ten-item wardrobe.   It was very refreshing to know each morning whatever I picked out to wear would be something I loved.  And honestly, just being able to see all of my articles of clothing helped clear my mind and provided a great start to my mornings.


Chapter 5 "Find Your True Style"
Continuing in the wardrobe department, defining your style and understanding why you wear what you wear are the topics of this chapter.  Jennifer has the reader complete an exercise to help define one's style.  After completing the exercise, I decided my two words to define my style are "Elegant and Chic."  Elegant because I lean towards long silhouettes and classic blacks and Chic because I definitely like to incorporate feminine touches and prefer a "polished" look.


Chapter 6 "Perfect the Le No-Makeup Look"
This chapter was a great refresher on looking polished but not over-made up.  Jennifer gives make up tips and suggestions for daily application as well as special occasions.   I tend to keep my make up very minimal on a daily basis but do agree that the right amount (applied correctly) can help me feel put-together, polished, and presentable.



Chapter 7 "Take Care of Your Skin"
Delving below the surface of make up to the foundation of great skin, this chapter takes an in-depth look at the habits of those with flawless skin.  Many wonderful suggestions are given, including drinking plenty of water, avoiding over-cleansing your skin, and (my personal favorite), managing stress levels with regular massages.


Chapter 8 "Look Presentable Always"
This is a chapter I need to re-read every few month.  Since I stay home with our children, it is very easy to fall into a rut of wearing workout clothes, not applying make-up, and schlepping around in tennis shoes.  In this chapter, Jennifer tells a story of all of the members of Famille Chic always looking presentable, whether hanging out in the living room or going out for a night on the town.  While "looking presentable" means different things for different people, I really enjoyed her mention of "honoring ourselves and those we come in contact with during the day by putting some thought and effort into our appearance."

A word on travel: dress beautifully when you travel.  I can remember when I used to buy trashy celeb magazines and there were always pictures of the current "It" girl traveling in over-sized t-shirts, yoga pants, and frumpy Uggs.  I thought that was THE way to travel!  They looked so comfortable and effortless! I decided that I never really liked arriving at my destination that way, however.  Whether it was going to visit friends, arriving at a cruise port, or (even worse) arriving at an exotic travel destination, I always felt uncomfortably sloppy and un-presentable upon arrival.  Now when I travel (whether solo or with my family), I am dressed up!  I much prefer feeling presentable and put-together and have found a great pieces that look polished and are still comfortable for travel.


Chapter 9 "Practice the Art of Femininity"
While the word "Femininity" may conjure up images of frilly dresses and ballet tutus, Jennifer explains in this chapter it is so much more- excellent posture, self-assurance, and great confidence.  Basically, femininity can be enhanced by anything that makes a woman feel beautiful and empowered.  She brought up the idea that good posture is contagious and how it is possible to get a confidence boost just by standing up a bit straighter!


I'd love to know if you're reading (or re-reading) Lessons from Madame Chic, and any thoughts you may have you the above topics!  For more inspiration, visit Jennifer L. Scott's blog, The Daily Connoisseur.  Next week, I'll complete part three, "How to Live Well," as  I continue the countdown to the release of Polish Your Poise.



1 comments

  1. Dear Ashley,
    Thank you so much for your support of my books. I just know you will love Polish Your Poise with Madame Chic! You are appreciated. Sincerely, Jennifer Scott xx

    ReplyDelete