Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

A Washer-Less Week

We just completed a week (but really 9 days, 4 hours, and 24 minutes) without a washing machine.  A few weeks ago,I discovered what we thought was our toilet leaking [clean] water in our downstairs studio.  After further inspection, we found that the washing machine had actually been dripping away (for about 2 months) where the hose and faucet come together.  Drop by drop, our new flooring had been compromised.  Let's be honest though, as disappointed I was that our flooring was swelling and would need to be replaced, I was even more so nervous about how long it would take to fix the washing machine situation. Fortunately, we were heading out of town that day and even more fortunately, all of our laundry was presently clean.


Upon returning home, we were able to call a plumber who was able to come out and fix the leaky faucets in a mere afternoon.  This was on a Tuesday (only one day past my normal washing day) so as far as I was concerned, we were back in business.  I promptly started the permanent press and breathed a sigh of relief that lasted until the washing machine started to drain and the toilet started to leak GUSH water from the base.  This confirmed for me that I wasn't crazy, water HAD been coming from the toilet.  It also made us realize we had a much larger problem on our hands.  That weekend (going on day 9), Chris was able to very handily replace the toilet seal (again) and poured several bottles of different solutions down the sink and toilet in hopes of alleviating what ever might be clogged.

Surprisingly (or maybe not so much), this whole process made me so much more committed to my twice a week laundry habit.  An ENTIRE 1 1/2 days after we could safely wash clothes was spent doing just that.  Laundry is not one of those chores that generally bothers me and I truly believe it's because I don't feel like I'm doing it all the time (and maybe because Chris painted my laundry room this dreamy shade of blue).  Playing laundry catch-up, we washed, dried, and folded NINE loads in total (two of which were loads of towels from mopping up the leaks).




I'm really curious about other's laundry's methods and if you think your protocol contributes towards your attitude about laundry.  It seems to me that something we spend so much time doing should be able to be done without a sense of drudgery.  What is your laundry schedule and have you done different things to make your experience more enjoyable?  As you ponder the process of the piles, enjoy this picture of a dreamy laundry space which can be found at Chateau Soleil, the residence of the Atlanta Symphony Associates 2015 Decorator's Show House.  And a super special thank you to local Atlanta photographer Mary Powell Photography for the use of these pictures- check out her additional pictures of the beautiful Chateau here.  Is it totally crazy that this was my favorite room at the Chateau?  I think not. :)





0 comments

Post a Comment