Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Signature Scent Series, Part 3

In my last "Signature Scent Series," I wrote about how some of the fragrances I had been trying immediately brought to mind memories of events, places, or people. Many of us know that the sense of scent is tied to memory, but have thought about why exactly that happens? Allow me to present a brief biology review :) Special sensory cells, located in tissue found high inside the nose, connect DIRECTLY to the brain (the olfactory bulb, to be exact). The olfactory bulb connects to the Limbic System of the brain, which is responsible for memory. It is also a part of the brain which regulates emotions, which can explain why certain scents make you happy, relax you, or can even agitate you.

An update on the Search for My Signature Scent:
This week, I tried the Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin, Earl Grey & Cucumber, Orange Blossom, and Red Roses. Lime Basil & Mandarin along with Earl Grey & Cucumber both fall into the "Citris" category on the Jo Malone website, while Orange Blossom is in the "Floral" category and Red Roses in the "Light Floral."


Lime Basil & Mandarin: "Our signature fragrance. Peppery basil and aromatic white thyme bring an unexpected twist to the scent of limes on a Caribbean breeze. A modern classic."
If this was the first Jo Malone scent I experienced, I probably would not have tried more. I enjoy lime, basil, and mandarin, but this scent smells dated and over-powering on me. I tried it on four different occasions and disliked it every time.

Earl Grey & Cucumber: "A British Tradition... afternoon tea. A fragrance with a burst of bergamont, distinct to Earl Grey, and the cool succelence of crunchy cucumber. Counterpoised with a sweet base of beeswax, vanilla, and musk. Reviving and refined."
Something odd happened with this one... I had sprayed it on my chest and instantly did not like it. Soon after, I smelled it on a friend and loved it- not knowing it was the scent I hated on myself. When it was time to write this post, I sprayed it again, but this time on my wrist. I actually enjoyed it on my wrist and proceeded to sniff it the rest of the afternoon! Even though it is under the classification of citris, it smells quite linen-y fresh. Maybe it's the bergamont in the Earl Grey I enjoy? While I loved this scent on my wrist, I do enjoy wearing fragrances on my throat and chest as well.

Orange Blossom: "A shimmering garden oasis. Clementine flower sparkles over a heart of orange blossoms and water lily, with warm undertones or orris and balsamic vetiver. Pure delight."
The first thing that comes to mind when I smell this scent is Honeysuckle. A huge field, a warm day, and a ton of honeysuckle. I have never smelled an actual orange blossom, so who knows? Maybe they actually smell like honeysuckle? This scent so reminds me of summer! Because of the strong summer presence, I'm not sure I could wear it year round.

Red Roses: "A voluptuous blend of the world's most exquisite roses. With crushed violet leaves and a hint of lemon, it unfolds like a bouquet of freshly cut flowers."
So, I have a little confession. I had used this sample vial before beginning my official search and have kinda already fallen in love with it. It was the warmness that I crave and the Rose scent I adore. I really love how it seemed to become one with my skin and smell so very nice on me. One of my sisters (who would be the last person you would think to like a rose scent), actually complimented this scent on two separate occasions and was shocked when I said, "Red Roses."

You may wonder why I found it necessary to still go through the whole "Signature Scent" process when I had already fallen in love with this particular scent. My answer would be that even though I already knew I loved roses, even before trying the sample vials, I didn't know what some of the other scents were like. Always wanting to learn and grow, I knew I needed to give each of the scents an equal try.

This week I would love to know, have you decided to go on the Signature Scent journey? Have you already? I would love to hear about it in the comments below!


0 comments

Post a Comment