Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

In Pursuit of Simple Pleasures

Most who know me know that I have a great obsession interest in the French way of living. A common theme found in the myriad of books I've acquired and read is their tendency to seek out simple pleasures in daily living. In the movie Amélie, the narrator introduces several characters by listing each's simple routines in which they find pleasure. Amélie enjoys running her fingers through barrels of grain. Her mother finds joy in cleaning her floors with her slippers, while her father's delight is stripping wallpaper off of walls. I have always been fond of this idea of living in the moment and relishing little routines, so I decided to compile a list of such that I partake of often.

1. Water

Your body craves it, and, if you succumb to its calling, you will surely reap the pleasurable benefits. Clearer skin, smoother digestion, and a plethora of other benefits come when we consume enough. What is enough? Obviously that will depend on different factors such as your weight, activity level, and where you live. There's plenty of information out there on Webmd and MayoClinic, but to start adding a bit more to your diet, Miereille Guiliano (author of French Women Don't Get Fat) suggests drinking a tall glass before bed and another first thing in the morning. I would add to re-fill your "before bed" glass and keep it by your bed so as to have quick access should you wake in the middle of the night.

2. Sleep

There may be nothing better in the world than waking up to sunshine on your face after a restful night's sleep. It has taken me almost 30 years, but the benefits of going to bed early over staying up late (to watch another episode; to "like" another picture) are really hitting home these days. I know insomnia is a huge problem in today's society, and having suffered on and off for many years, here are a few things that have recently worked for me:
1.Stop drinking caffeine by 4:00.
2. Limit alcohol consumption before bed.
3. Create a nighttime routine that helps your body know it's almost time for bed.
4. Plug in your phone across the room (or out of the room) facing down.
5. Have a glass of hot water with lemon.

3. Making My Bed

This is a habit for which I can thank my mother. Growing up, each morning we would be sent back to our rooms to make our beds if we had not done so. It didn't matter if it would make us miss the buss, she was insistent that we make our bed each morning. Looking back, I am so happy she instilled it in us. While there have certainly been times in my life when I did not adhere to this rule, more often than not I have continued to find pleasure in the morning ritual of making my bed. Straightening out the sheets came easier after Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's instructions (Pull the covers and top sheet all the way back to smooth out the bottom sheet first!). More so than the pleasure in making the bed is that in seeing a made bed throughout my day. On busy days when the house is a wreck, passing by my room and seeing the made bed calms my soul and reminds me that eventually, the rest of the house will be back in order, too.

4. Taking Early Morning Walks

Or walks anytime, really. Early morning is my favorite, as it is still a bit cool and the earth is still waking up. There is so much time to just think while on a walk, and really just be with yourself. I love taking different routes each day and often notice the changing seasons first while on a walk. Whether it be new buds popping or the first leaves turning, a walk is so refreshing to the body and mind.

5. Planting Flowers

Seeing a plant grow from a seed brings such joy to me! I love checking on seedlings every day to see how big they've grown over night. Caring for and cultivating flowers takes much patience, but it so worth it in the end. Bonus: Growing vegetables. They take time and patience, too, but nothing beats nourishing your body with something you have grown yourself. Even herbs grown in-doors on a window sill bring joy, and beat using the dried store-bought ones any day.

6. Hummingbird Feeders

My family has had hummingbird feeders as long as we've lived in the country. I've made a point to put one up at all of homes over the years. Watching the smallest of birds find our feeders excites us, and we love being on the look-out for their return each spring! Hummingbird feeders are super easy and can be cheap- our guests tend to always visit the $3 ones over the more expensive, prettier ones. We use sugar-water instead of buying the red "hummingbird food," which also helps us save. To make sugar-water, boil 4 cups of water (I do so with the lid on. That way if I walk away before it starts boiling, I've not lost much water to steam. This helps keeps the proportions in order.). Once the water boils, remove from heat and stir in one cup of sugar. Cool completely before filling the feeders. I've read that it's recommended to change the water twice a week, but we generally change ours every 10 days (which is when I typically remember I should be changing it twice a week).

7. Music

Whether it's playing the piano, going to the symphony, or simply listening to the radio, music brings joy to my soul in a way nothing else can. Many, many people I have met (musicians and non-musicians alike) have also made this claim. Music can cheer me up, calm me down, make housework (any work, really) more enjoyable, and help set nearly any mood you're going for. I enjoy listening to internet radio in the morning getting ready, and find taking breaks to play piano during my housework rejuvenates my mind.

8. Family Dinners

Growing up, family dinners were a nightly occurrence. I thought that was what everyone did, so when my husband and I were married, we continued the tradition of sitting down, enjoying a meal together, and talking about our days or plans for the next days. When cell-phones started becoming more consistently used, we quickly made a "No cell phones at the dinner table" rule, which I'm sure many of you have also done. There is something so luxurious about sitting down for even 30 minutes, nourishing our bodies, and connecting with one another that bring so much pleasure to the end of sometimes hectic days.

9. Waking Up to a Clean House and, Especially, Kitchen

Whether we want to admit it or not, what we see effects how we feel. If you wake up to sun streaming in your window, open your eyes and see your room in order, clothes put away, dresser dusted, you will likely feel a sense of empowerment to take on your day. The first place we generally venture to is, of course, the kitchen. Making sure our kitchen is in order before going to bed can help ensure that our morning continues to flow smoothly. Knowing that yesterday's chores are completely done allows you to start your morning with focus on TODAY rather than playing catch up with yesterday's responsibilities.

10. Hot Baths

When I was in high school, I started a Friday night ritual of taking hot baths. High school was the first time I was in a traditional school environment and the stress and challenges caused me to seek a way to unwind after a week of long homework sessions and tests. I feel as though I've truly perfected the art of hot water, salts (either Epson with a few drops of essential oils or bath salts), light music, soft light, and either a good book or absolutely nothing. After a long hot bath, I like to generously apply lotion and hop right in the bed for a good night's sleep (see number 2).

I would love to know, what are some of your favorite simple pleasures that you enjoy indulging in daily or weekly? Please let me know in the comments below! Throughout the time of compiling my list and writing this post, I had so many more daily pleasures come to mind, it was hard for me to limit it to just ten!

Thank you to Denise Williams for the use of her hummingbird picture!

0 comments

Post a Comment