Pages

Monday, June 01, 2015

In Pursuit of a Signature Scent


The first time the concept of a "Signature Scent" was brought to my attention was when I was about 10 years old.  An older, more mature, friend of mine was talking about her "cool" friends and how they each wore one perfume (or body splash, probably), so religiously that they could smell one another coming before they actually saw one another.  I determined quickly that my Signature Scent would be "Exclamation," as I already had a bottle, and I then proceeded to ask for bottles of it for birthdays and Christmas for the next several years.  

As a young adult, I continued to wear perfume, but branched out of the drugstore aisle and played with department store brands- from Victoria's Secret's "Angel" to Banana Republic's "W for Women" to  to the flirty "Velocity" by Mary Kay, I simply purchased whatever I thought smelled classic and sexy and would faithfully apply it every morning.  Looking back on my journey through fragrances, I've realized that certain scents can easily be correlated with specific relationship and life-events.


My mid-twenties brought on the search for a truly Signature Scent.  I fell in love with Coco Mademoiselle and would constantly find magazine and department store samples.  I wanted to make sure that the scent was one that would embody the essence of me.  After a year of debating, I made the purchase with some birthday money I received as a gift.  The scent was truly the most delicate balance between classic and allure and helped me feel confident and beautiful every day I wore it.  I purchased several bottles over the next few years and reveled in the moment I would apply it each day.  


Through the years of wearing Coco Mademoiselle, I have found it worthwhile to re-evaluate my love of the scent before investing in the next bottle.  High-quality perfume is quite an investment, so it seems like the natural course of action to visit a few counters and try some samples before committing the next 15 months to my beloved Mademoiselle.

I recently read an article on The Daily Connoisseur about the evolution of her Signature Scent.  She spoke about Jo Malone London and her journey to discovering their Blackberry & Bay scent.  Her descriptions of the fine fragrances lead me to further investigation and I decided to purchase a set of 10 sample vials online.  I also received a vial from a dear friend and have decided to begin my study with these:

Lime Basil & Mandarin
Earl Grey & Cucumber
Orange Blossom
Pomegranate Noir
English Pear & Freesia
Nectarine Blossom & Honey
Blackberry & Bay
Red Roses
Wood Sage & Sea Salt
Dark Amber & Ginger Lilly
Oud & Bergamont



Please join me on this journey and do let me know in the comments below: Do you have a signature scent?  How long have you worn it?  What are some of your favorite scents?

Many thanks to Sheila Sim, a photographer from Edinburgh (who also did a Jo Malone photoshoot), for graciously allowing me to use the above photo for this blog!  View her beautiful pictures on her website by clicking here.

Photo © Sheila Sim Photography


0 comments

Post a Comment