Pages

Wednesday, January 16, 2019

My Goal for 2019


I am not a researcher.  I have immense respect for those who are and know many people who pour over Consumer Reports, create spreadsheets with the data, then determine the best course of action shown by their due diligence.  I am not one of those people.


However, I feel pretty secure in the fact that because I do know those type of people, I can trust their research and opinions.  Why is it, then, that I often find myself in a situation where so many people are telling me to try something, yet I completely brush it away, thinking, "Well, that works for them, but I know me and that would NOT work for me"?  I know that not everything is for everybody, but for some reason, I have deep urges to resist trends/products/habits that don't immediately appeal to me, even when many trusted friends (who have undoubtedly done their research) are telling me to try it.


So, I decided to make 2019's Goal be "Give It a Whirl."  To try the thing, product, habit that seems so far fetched for me, so out of my comfort zone.  I'm not expecting everything to be fabulous and 100% me, but at least I'll give it a try!  The things that I'll be trying out will not be things that I've been considering or things that I have been wanting to try out and just haven't.  They'll be legit, I've-been-purposely-avoiding-that-things.  


I've begun to record my 2019 "Give it a whirl" list.  I'm up to 13!  Rather than posting them all today, I'll share them as I go and will leave two I've begun/completed here for now.


1. Read The Help.  
I know, I know... who wouldn't want to read this book?  The truth is, I've had this book for several years now.  A friend gave it to me, strongly urging me to read it because she "knew I would like it!"  Well, I resisted.  To me, it was probably a sad book with a heart-warming ending.  I'll tell you right now, Nicholas Sparks ruined me from trusting the New York Times Best Seller list, so the fact that this book is also on that list didn't help convince me.  Well, spoiler alert: I read it.  And of course, I loved it.  It was a little sad, but more so interesting, and the ending wasn't even that heart-warming!  I know I don't need to say much else about this book, because you've probably already read it, lol.


2. Do the laundry daily.
Nearly every runner of households recommends this.  Rather than waiting until it piles up, they daily run a load or two.  I've resisted this one for quite a while, even blogging about it stating "who wants to do laundry every day?!"  Well, in honor of my "Give it a whirl" pledge I decided to try it.  I've been at it going on 2 weeks now and it really is nice not having huge loads of clothes to fold.  Right before bed, I put our day's clothes in the washer and set it to start a few hours later.  The next morning, I transfer the load to the dryer and try to fold and put away the clothes before carpool begins.  I also took some time over our Christmas break to deep clean the laundry room, so everything is in order, there are no dust bunnies peeking out at me, and it all looks fresh and pleasant.

Do you have any suggestions for things I should try out in 2019?  Leave a comment below, and perhaps I'll give it a whirl!

0 comments

Post a Comment