Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

100 Days of No Drive-Throughs: Day 1

What could be finer than simple human interaction?  The subject is finally gaining popularity what with the solitude we are creating for our generation through the use current technology and "social networking" sites available to all.  People have numerous ways to stay connected (email, texting, facebook, twitter, blogging, skype, etc), but are we truly connected to the people around us?

I have been pondering this topic for a while as it was first brought to my attention by reading books on French lifestyles.  The French value human-to-human connection and can often be seen going inside of banks, completely foregoing fast food drive-throughs, and walking inside to pay for gas.  As I read, I thought to myself, "I don't really fall under the category of a 'Lazy American' who doesn't get out of their car to do anything.  Surely not..."  Suddenly I was aware of how often I do rely on machines rather than interacting with humans to complete my daily tasks and errands. I was shocked.  

So I decided to present myself with a challenge: "100 Days of No Drive-Throughs."  

I started today.  Not by choice, but out of inconvenience.  The gas pump would not read my card and I was forced to walk inside (gasp!) to see the cashier (and have a human interaction).  Walking back to my car, I decided today would be the day.

Please let it be noted that I am not saying that anyone who uses a drive-through is lazy.  There have been plenty of times as a new mother that drive-throughs have been a necessity.  There was many an errand that would have been avoided all together had it not been for drive-throughs.  

Now that my daughter is 2 and can easily be loaded in and out of the car, I am ready to accept the challenge of no drive-throughs for 100 days.  Feel free to take this challenge with me!  Please comment on your human interaction experiences as you forgo this amenity-turned-necessity. 

   

0 comments

Post a Comment